Freshmen in Transition (FIT)
Freshmen in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources at Oklahoma State University have the opportunity to participate in Freshmen In Transition (FIT).
FIT is a residential living-learning community that helps students transition to college by providing an atmosphere for personal and academic growth through engagement, service and networking. The program sets expectations important to student success and fosters independence, interest in new experiences, leadership development and academic excellence. Students are encouraged to investigate and practice beneficial behaviors and incorporate them into their college experience.
Students selected for FIT live with other CASNR freshman students and student academic mentors (SAMs). The assist in building community, coordinate on-going programming activities, and are a key resource in assisting students in becoming engaged and involved in academic, extracurricular, professional, and social activities that promote personal growth and development.
How to apply
Placement in Freshmen In Transition (FIT) is determined by a competitive process based on a comprehensive review of the applications. You are encouraged to application does not guarantee placement in FIT. Students must be enrolled within the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources for the entire academic year. The application deadline for priority consideration ends Feb. 1. Students who apply for FIT by Feb. 1 will be notified of their placement status through their Okey email account no later than Feb. 15. Applications will be accepted until May 1.as soon as you receive your admission confirmation, as spaces are limited. Submitting an
*IMPORTANT: Applying to FIT does not replace applying for campus housing with OSU Housing and Residential Life and completing a Housing and Residential Life contract. As a freshman you are required to live on campus. You cannot be selected and placed into FIT until you have completed a Housing and Residential Life contract with Residential Life. Applying for FIT and applying for housing are two separate processes.
What are the steps?
- Complete Oklahoma State University Admission Application
- Get Accepted to Oklahoma State University
- Complete FIT Application, Available Nov. 1
- Complete Housing and Residential Life Application, Available Dec. 1
Frequently asked questions
- What are the expectations of FIT?
- FIT students are expected to be active and engaged members of the program. Students are given expectations that guide them through the freshman year and provide an environment of academic, professional, and personal growth. To see a detailed list of expectations refer to this document
- Do I have to be in FIT to live in CASNR Village?
- CASNR Village is a living-learning community reserved for FIT students. You must be a FIT member to live in CASNR Village.
- Do I need to apply for housing with Residential Life and apply to FIT separately?
- Yes, complete a FIT application with CASNR and apply for housing with Housing and Residential Life. Additionally, you must complete a housing contract with Housing and Residential Life before you can be selected into FIT. Please follow the link for the Residential Life housing application: http://www.reslife.okstate.edu/
- Why can’t I select CASNR Village when completing my Housing and Residential Life application? I am applying for FIT and want to live in CASNR Village.
- CASNR Village is reserved for students who are accepted into the FIT program. When completing the housing application, select the housing choice that is your preference if you are not accepted into FIT. This ensures you a place to live on campus if you are not accepted into FIT.
- I requested a roommate before being selected into FIT and now we both have been selected into FIT. Can we be roommates?
- Roommate assignments are managed by Housing and Residential Life. Residential Life does attempt to fulfill student requests for roommates within the CASNR Village. For further information, please contact Housing and Residential Life: http://www.reslife.okstate.edu/
- Is my application fee for residential life the same as my participation fee for FIT?
- No, these are separate. The application fee for Housing and Residential Life secures your room. The participation fee for FIT is used for FIT activities, supplies and other needs throughout the academic year.
- I have been accepted into FIT. When will I be accepted into CASNR Village? Do I need to contact Residential Life?
- Once we receive your signed FIT contract, we will notify Housing and Residential Life to accept you into CASNR Village. The housing change will appear in your housing portal within a few weeks.
- How much is the FIT participation fee and when do I pay it?
- The FIT participation fee is $150. Once accepted into FIT the participation fee will be placed on your August University bursar account.
- Who are the FIT SAMs?
- A group of previous FIT participants who serve as mentors to FIT. To learn more about the 2016-2017 mentors visit the FIT SAM page.
For more information
Student Development Coordinator
103 Agricultural Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078
Want to schedule a campus visit or learn more about pursuing a major in CASNR? Visit our Future Students page.